Life beyond Work

The clocked ticked 6'o clock and, one of these days, I arranged my desk, packed up my bag, got up from my seat and started walking towards the exit gate of my office.

Though I tried my best but could not avoid the attention of the people around. Actually, how could I have? - (except for being 'Mr. India') - with me sitting almost towards the end, making me cross the entire office before reaching the door. My colleagues started staring at me with multiple face expressions & one thousand questions on their faces - and in the end one of them could not resist asking "Hey! Half day today?"

"Half day? It is 6'o clock dear. Time to go home as per our office hours and I have some work also outside".

"Oh! I never knew this!" she answered sarcastically with a witty smile on her face (as if I was doing a crime!).

For a moment, I thought of going and asking the boss - to leave at 'this hour'. But, giving it a re-thought, started marching towards the door - this time toying with my cell phone so as to avoid looking at others'faces and any further questions (though many seemed to have the similar urge). Carefully avoiding the last glance at my boss's cabin I, somehow, crossed the area but could not help encountering the guard with a smile on his face, a cursory glance at his wrist-watch and an obvious question - "Aaj jaldi jaa rahen hain?" (You are going home early today?) With no replies, started waiting for the lift. The regular liftman looked me from top-to-bottom but, thankfully, did not embarrass me with another 'unanswerable' question.

Fortunately, with no further encounters and explanations, I could get out of the office. Being the summers, the sun was quiet strong at 'this hour' and I had to walk to a distance for my parked car.

Felt somewhat different with exit in almost bright daylight. If I could recollect, it was after quiet a while since I witnessed the 'evening sunlight'on a 'working' day! (with a relatively free after-office mind of-course)

As I was walking, the things 'actually' looked very different. Could feel the audacious structure of the building where I worked. (Never knew the fountains worked in the evening!) The roads were bright, so was the crowd. The street-food sellers had their busy slot and how I could have missed my favorite 'Aloo ki Chaat'.

With a hint of lemon & spice on my tongue mixed with a feeling of joy & freedom, I kept walking towards the parking slot. Needless to mention, looking at me the parkingwala was surprised as well as slightly angry as my car was parked in the end and he had to work a lot to show me the way to exit.

Turned my vehicle on the road. Actually, had no work - so towards the home. 'Switched-on' and 'switched-off' my head lights. Though I thought otherwise, the traffic at 'this hour' was relatively lesser. As against around 45 minutes - 1 hour, it took me less than 30 minutes to reach my colony gate. The colony guard, too, did not spare me by carefully checking the number plate three times before lifting the pole up. There was good crowd around - Hardly knew that our colony market was so busy at this time! The evening meeting of the aunties was 'on'. Looking at me - my neighbors were surprised so was my mom. (Though the kids were slightly disappointed to see the untimely arrival of the vehicle hindering their game)

With feeling of being less tired, I could flip few pages of a book. Could watch some television. Had quality chat with my mother. Patiently ate my dinner, and could read again before sleeping. It was really a wonderful & welcome change from the everyday hectic and late coming schedules; instilling a feeling of momentary joy & happiness in my mind.

Many people often ask me "Why do you come so late everyday?" "Do you really work till this hour?" "You have a very difficult routine, how do you manage?" I try to explain the pressures & the workload. Try to justify my routine. But, sometime I have no logical answers!

Sitting late in the offices has actually become a trend or rather a fashion (or someone can say a compulsion) nowadays. Interestingly, it is not with few but many of us. This developing and ever growing trend leaves us with many important thoughts. Either most of our workplaces are understaffed and we are bound to work for late hours for completing our day jobs or alternately it has become a trend (or a habit or a fashion) to sit till late hours and slog. Someone can argue - we have no choice but to work till late hours to run ahead of everyone.

We all are running. Running harder. Running faster - faster than time probably. But, sadly, in this rat race of careers, promotions, increments, money, and faster growth et al. we seem to have forgotten our own identities. Our own personal priorities. Our own interests. Rather ourselves! We are so awfully engrossed in our cubicles that - perhaps - we seem to be slowly forgetting the fun & the joys of this Life 'BEYOND' Work.

0 comments:

About Me

Search This Blog

Labels